#1 Burning Software

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Get Invisible Track Info for DVD-RW Incorrect ?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:07 am 
Hi,

When I try to get invisible track information for DVD-RW media, the TrackNumber always return 1. Shouldn't it be 2 ?

This broke my code because it is not behaving in a manner that is consistent with all types of media. I need a way to correctly get the last track number regardless of media type, and previously, I used "Invisble Track Number - 1".

Thanks in advance for your time and assisntance.

Kind regards,
Chris :)

Post subject: Re: Get Invisible Track Info for DVD-RW Incorrect ?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Nope. It should not be. DVD+RW, DVD-RAM and formatted DVD-RW media always have physically one track. Previous version of StarBurn was recording DVD-RWs as erasable DVD-R media. Now DVD-R and DVD-RW recording code (for multisession mode) is totally different. I think that's the point why you're a bit confused :)

As I've told all of the devices and media types should look the same from the programmers point of view. Small inconsisances we have now should be gone sooner or later.

For now I do not understand what's the problem is. Just pass 0xFF as track number and everything should work just fine. Where is different handling?

Chris@Acubix wrote:
Hi,

When I try to get invisible track information for DVD-RW media, the TrackNumber always return 1. Shouldn't it be 2 ?

This broke my code because it is not behaving in a manner that is consistent with all types of media. I need a way to correctly get the last track number regardless of media type, and previously, I used "Invisble Track Number - 1".

Thanks in advance for your time and assisntance.

Kind regards,
Chris :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:20 am 
Hi Anton,

For DVD+RW, the invisible track number is 2, while for DVD-RW, the invisible track number is 1.

My need to know this is because I am calculating the last physical track number to import using the formula:
Last Physical Track = Invisible Track Number - 1

This worked fine with CD-RW, DVD+RW, etc., except for DVD-RW.

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Nope. It should not be. DVD+RW, DVD-RAM and formatted DVD-RW media always have physically one track. Previous version of StarBurn was recording DVD-RWs as erasable DVD-R media. Now DVD-R and DVD-RW recording code (for multisession mode) is totally different. I think that's the point why you're a bit confused :)

As I've told all of the devices and media types should look the same from the programmers point of view. Small inconsisances we have now should be gone sooner or later.

For now I do not understand what's the problem is. Just pass 0xFF as track number and everything should work just fine. Where is different handling?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Your formula is wrong. Use "read disc info" or "read track info" to get correct track number for the last recorded session and do not try to invent the wheel.

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Anton,

For DVD+RW, the invisible track number is 2, while for DVD-RW, the invisible track number is 1.

My need to know this is because I am calculating the last physical track number to import using the formula:
Last Physical Track = Invisible Track Number - 1

This worked fine with CD-RW, DVD+RW, etc., except for DVD-RW.

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:13 am 
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "read disc info" ?

My scenario is that I have a multisession DVD+/-RW that already has a session and a track (IsNextSessionAllowed=TRUE). Now, I want to burn another session, so I need to import the last track.

You're saying I should call GetDiscInformation(), then read the "LastSessionLastTrack" ?

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Your formula is wrong. Use "read disc info" or "read track info" to get correct track number for the last recorded session and do not try to invent the wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

what I mean - do not hardcode any math inside your app. Instad use GetDiscInformation(...) API call to determine LastSessionLastTrack (as you've mentioned). That would be correct way!

P.S. DVD-RAM would work in the same way as DVD+RW.

Chris@Acubix wrote:
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "read disc info" ?

My scenario is that I have a multisession DVD+/-RW that already has a session and a track (IsNextSessionAllowed=TRUE). Now, I want to burn another session, so I need to import the last track.

You're saying I should call GetDiscInformation(), then read the "LastSessionLastTrack" ?

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:28 am 
Hi Anton,

I have just done some tests on using GetDiscInformation() to determine LastSessionLastTrack, and there's a small problem.

For DVD+/-RW, LastSessionLastTrack always return 1, so that's fine. For CD-RW however, LastSessionLastTrack always return 1 more than the actual number of tracks. So, if I have an empty disc, LastSessionLastTrack returns 1. If I have burned 1 track, LastSessionLastTrack actually returns 2. It appears LastSessionLastTrack is returning the invisible track number rather than last track number for CD-RW ?

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

what I mean - do not hardcode any math inside your app. Instad use GetDiscInformation(...) API call to determine LastSessionLastTrack (as you've mentioned). That would be correct way!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Chris,

I've though about this and you seems to be correct :(

We'll either have to create some special API call or use Ex variant for say GetTrackInfo(...) call. As alternative: you can analyze TOC information (hint: Nero f.e. does exactly in this way). What do you think?

Chris wrote:
Hi Anton,

I have just done some tests on using GetDiscInformation() to determine LastSessionLastTrack, and there's a small problem.

For DVD+/-RW, LastSessionLastTrack always return 1, so that's fine. For CD-RW however, LastSessionLastTrack always return 1 more than the actual number of tracks. So, if I have an empty disc, LastSessionLastTrack returns 1. If I have burned 1 track, LastSessionLastTrack actually returns 2. It appears LastSessionLastTrack is returning the invisible track number rather than last track number for CD-RW ?

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:56 am 
Hi Anton,

I guess we could analyze the TOC, but shouldn't the GetDiscInformation() > LastSessionLastTrack be fixed to show the correct info ?

Also, I presume the TOC info will show the correct numbers ? meaning it won't include the invisible track ?

Thanks,
Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

I've though about this and you seems to be correct :(

We'll either have to create some special API call or use Ex variant for say GetTrackInfo(...) call. As alternative: you can analyze TOC information (hint: Nero f.e. does exactly in this way). What do you think?

Chris wrote:
Hi Anton,

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:07 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

it should. But's emulated by us for media w/o or with partial "CD compatibily". Not always the one you expect to see...

TOC should be enough. And it does not contain invisible track. Please give this stuff a try and if it would be OK we would not invent new calls or would not extend old ones.

Thank you!